8th Mar, 2011

Cherry Spring Texas Land Ranches Farms North of Fredericksburg TX

The Texas land for sale, ranches and farms in Cherry Creek are located in Texas Hill Country real estate, 16 miles north of Fredericksburg.  Cherry Spring sprang up along the old Pinta Trail in 1852, about the same time as the German community of Fredericksburg homes and Main Street shops invited more and more settlers to the area.

Because of travel from San Antonio to El Paso, Cherry Spring prospered.  Fredericksburg TX real estate and services, events, and resources eventually served as the “town” for Texas ranches and outlying rural areas.

Set along Cherry Spring Creek (Cherry Springs Creek to some) in an unincorporated area of Gillespie County, Cherry Spring TX real estate accesses the Cherry Spring Creek which flows from north of Fredericksburg to Llano.  The population of Cherry Spring is about 75.

Cherry Spring is widely remembered for its foot-pounding dance hall at 17662 North U.S. Highway 87.  The State of Texas Music Office describes it as “one of the most historic dance halls in the world.”  The greatest of country musicians have streamed through its doors along with tourists from places near and far.

John O. Meusebach, broker of the Meusebach-Comanche Treaty in 1847, stilled the Comanche attacks on settlers, but the Kiowa and Apache continued to cause problems.  Apache captured Cherry Spring settler Herman Lehmann, the son of German immigrants.  Lehmann became the adopted son of Comanche chief Quanah Parker and he established a cattle drive stop in 1889.  It became the now-famous Cherry Springs Dance Hall.

In 1848, Gillespie County formed from property in Bexar and Travis counties after a petition to start a new county gained enough signatures.  Dietrich Rode and William Kothe first settled in 1852.  By 1860, the population in Gillespie Country reached 117.

In 2005, the old school in Cherry Spring gained note on the National Register of Historic Places in Texas.  Built on land donated by a German nobleman, Das Alte Schulhaus was the schoolhouse from 1860 to 1878.  Various residents hosted teachers and classrooms in their homes for about seven years until another donor donated land for a second school.  After a consolidation with Fredericksburg Independent School District, that building appropriately became the Cherry Spring Community Club.  By the way, the schools are excellent.

For expert guidance in your personal search for the ultimate piece of the Hill Country, please call Dale E. Cook, MBA and owner of SAGE- Premium Texas Real Estate at (830) 992-0056.

Comments are closed.

Categories